API

Welcome to the Nutanix NEXT community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

v2/vms query parameters?

Adventurer

v2/vms query parameters?

The docs for GET v2/vms state the following:

Virtual Machine disk information and network information are not included by default as fetching these are expensive operations. These can be included by setting the include_vmdisk_config and include_vmnic_config flags respectively.

Based on this I was planning on leveraging these flags for performance reasons when listing VM's, but I'm not sure they are working. I'm testing against a Acropolis system running 5.0.0.2.

I diffed the JSON responses from Swagger when include_vmdisk_config and include_vmnic_config were:

1. both excluded
  2. both set to true
  3. both set to false

The JSON is identical for 1 and 3, which I expected, but for every VM the vm_disk_info and vm_nics fields are populated for each VM. When I diffed 1 and 2 the only difference is that each disk reports its size.

Is this expected?

10 REPLIES
Adventurer

Re: v2/vms query parameters?

Also looks like GET v2/vms does not return guest_os.

Nutanix Employee

Hi,

I tried this with 5.0 and the output is different when using

https://192.168.178.70:9440/PrismGateway/services/rest/v2.0/vms/?include_vm_disk_config=true&include...

compared to

https://192.168.178.70:9440/PrismGateway/services/rest/v2.0/vms/

I am using 5.0 and ESXi 6.0

output:

flags.PNG

noflags.PNG

Adventurer

Interesting...so the query parameters behave different depending on the underlying hypervisor?

Nutanix Employee

Let´s try to double check this with eng. But I believe the output should be similar with AHV. I will try to test it as soon I have an AHV cluster available.

The CE edition does not provide the v2.0 API right now.

regards,

Thomas

Adventurer

I have Acropolis 5.0.0.2 running if you want to see the API output?

I also have CE running which has the v2.0 API (it does not have the v3 API).

Nutanix Employee

Okay. 

Which version are you using regarding the CE edition. 

CE AOS 2016.10.12 and Nutanix Hypervisor 20150513 do not accept https://192.168.178.130:9440/PrismGateway/services/rest/v2.0/  requests at my lab. Would be nice to understand the difference.

Regards,

Thomas

Adventurer

I'm running the 2016.12.22 build. I believe that was the first non-EA build with Asterisx functionality. I'm planning on upgrading to the latest which is 2017.01.10 at some point.

Nutanix Employee

I tested with CE edition today. You are right. The details with parameters are only a little bit more. Maybe the assumption that include disk statistics etc. is only expensive using vsphere? And the output with including ?include_vm_disk_config=true&include_vm_nic_config=true is a little bit different at my homelab. for example size is included!

Moderator Moderator

hey @regana - following up on old threads tonight, did you ever get to the bottom of this or is this still outstanding?

Jon Kohler | Principal Architect, Nutanix | Nutanix NPX #003, VCDX #116 | @JonKohler
Please Kudos if useful!