API

Welcome to the Nutanix NEXT community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a REST API request limit?

ced
Pathfinder

Is there a REST API request limit?

Hi community,

I've written a Python3 interface to Nutanix's REST api, and among other things I'm using it to replicate VM metrics from Nutanix to Graphite. I was wondering if anyone has run into REST api request-rate limits, or performance degredation after a certain point. I'd like to decrease the run-time of my metrics replication process by distributing the api calls to a bunch of workers, but I don't want to cause problems for other admins while it's running ^^

3 REPLIES
Highlighted
ced
Pathfinder

Re: Is there a REST API request limit?

Also FYI, it looks like the max metrics per request is 5. If you attempt to ask for more than that the API returns:

Cannot support more than 5 metric in a single time range request or server is busy with many concurrent requests

Nutanix Employee

Hello,

Currently, we do have a limit on the number of metrics you can pull in per RPC. This was done to protect our metrics database and config database performance. This is in our V1/V2 API. 

Going forward, when we release our metrics API in V3, we do not anticipate having this constraint on the number of metrics that can be pulled.

Hope this helps. 

Thanks,

Tarak

ced
Pathfinder

Thanks Tark, that's good to know Smiley Happy

Are there metrics API request-rate limits though? Like could I issue 200 metrics requests/second? (each request for 5 or less metrics)